Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New Year Begins


Had a wonderful break in Oregon, so very happy to see my loved ones. I caught a nasty cold on the plane ride back and am still recovering. Saint Louis was beautifully full of snow, and Camille much smaller than I remembered her!

First week started out pretty slow, in part because of the cold. Classes this term appear to be a bit calmer, likely because I'm only taking four and not five; Pediatric Nutrition, Managerial Aspects of Public Health Practice, Epidemiology, and Environmental and Occupational Health. EOH is a Saturday class, darn it! I won't be leaving STL til spring break. :/

Work with HELP is going to be different this term. We have high school students working on production, and a host of other helpers for various tasks. We'll be spending more time in the schools with kids and staff trying to increase the consumption of all the delicious food we make! There was talk last term of doing some gardening projects with neighborhood families, which would be fantastic! I'm taking over the HELP media, so check these spots for HELP related news:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Healthy-Eating-with-Local-Produce-HELP/190295706675?ref=ts
http://twitter.com/HELPgrant
http://www.healthyeatingwithlocalproduce.blogspot.com

Since this sickness has me housebound, I made Garlic Lime Chicken soup with jalapenos to try and clear the ol' sinuses. It turned out good, but needed roux to thicken it. Does anyone ever use cornstarch for thickener? It's such a pain to pull out another pan to make roux when my kitchen is already trashed and dinner still isn't ready!

1 comment:

  1. I use cornstarch sometimes. Just mix a tespoon or so into a tablespoon of COLD water until it dissolves. add to soup and bring back to a boil. It won't thicken until it boils. Repeat to desired thickness. Sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete