Monday, January 25, 2010

Black Bean-Sweet Potato Cakes

Tackled a new recipe last night from my brand spankin' new cookbook 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains. It was a gift from wifey for Christmas.

Black Bean-Sweet Potato Cakes
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1.5 cups cooked black beans
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp canola oil (I used coconut oil instead, it makes everything taste magical.)

The plan was basically to combine everything and then "drop the batter on the griddle by the spoonful to make pancakes about 3 inches in diameter."

This is what the "batter" looked like:














As you can see, spoonfuls were not in the equation. (Please excuse my mess!)

I forged ahead and tried to form patty-like shapes anyway.



The product tasted pretty good, but just wasn't holding together. I called in for backup, who suggested adding another egg and baking it in the oven instead. Well......the end result wasn't good. I think it was the chunks of egg interspersed with potato.



Mystified, I turned back to the recipe. I followed the instructions. The recipe on the next page was for Black Bean-Potato Cakes. These called for cooked potatoes. So perhaps I shall try this recipe again, slightly altered. For now, it's time to clean the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment